Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 1: Mommy vs Lacey

Score: Lacey: 1 Mommy: 0.5

So I am FINALLY doing CIO with her. I kept putting it off. 'Oh, I'll let her cry at 6 months,' 'Oh I'll let her cry at a year.' Etc. You know how it goes. I kept thinking that eventually she would understand, that she would just 'get it.' But no. And I've gotten so tired of the constant battle for sleep. With her waking up the past 2 nights and not being able to get back to sleep, ending in her sleeping on me, I'm ready.

So she fell asleep in the car this morning (big surprise, she was up all night) coming home from the gym. I tried to take her in and lay her down, that was a no go. So I puttered about her room, hoping she would calm down with me in there. I got the whole room clean while she watched in the dark. No such luck. I figured if I left she would climb out (just have a toddler rail) so I put the big rail back on. Ooo she was mad. But I was madder and more determined. I set the clock on my phone for 45 minutes later. I got a book, and went out and sat on the deck. I read for 45 minutes. She cried/moaned/screamed/yelled the WHOLE time. Ok. When I went in there to get her she had no tears or snot, she was just yelling. Annoying.

But luckily she was in a good mood (last time I tried this she was a meanie the rest of the day and I couldn't take it for a week). Then I get a text from daddy... she fell asleep while eating! So Lacey scored 1, but I get half a point for that. I guess.

Hopefully this won't take long. My sis did it with my neice and it took a week, but now she lays down and waves. It would have been soo much easier had I done it sooner, but I wasn't ready. Now I'm ready. If I can just get Nick to stay on board hopefully it won't be bad. Do you think if I start with naptime and not bedtime yet it will be okay? Only cause annoying stompy neighbors might not 'like it.' Not like I really care, but seriously after last night and today I wouldn't be surprised if child services showed up at my door for the screaming. They probably think I'm a horrible mom, but I don't care!

Oh, to get some sleep. And Nick's grandparents will be in town this weekend so hopefully she can play with them while I take a nap! I can't wait, they are awesome! I'm going kayaking Saturday so at least I get a break from 'no sleep fussy pants' child. Who I love with all my heart, I just wish would shut her eyes for a minute without having to lay on me!

3 comments:

Boo said...

I don't think it's easy to do at any age. It wouldn't have been easier at 6 months or 12 monnths.

I've done it before but recently started doing it with Jaxon again. He wakes up at 2am and wants to party until 6am and then stay up all day too (IU have a recent post about it on my blog)

So the last few nights I get up to make sure he's not awake for any reason and then I go out of his room. I don't go back again. He takes less than three minutes to cry himself to sleep under these circumstances, and to think I was up and down with him all night long for two weeks when all I had to do was make sure he was ok and then ignore him!

On the mornings when I have let him CIO at 2am I often wonder if he wake's up angry at me for doing that to him. But he doesn't remember.

Stick to it, I think there's a reason kids don't have memories of this time...it's so they don't remember the things we do to teach them to be HUMAN and sleep all night!

Mama Duck said...

i agree, I think at any age its tough. JP has been doing something new thats driving me nuts. We lie him down to go to sleep and he won't. He'll lie there 'almost' asleep, but keeps himself up. I got tired of it the other night and put him in his crib to CIO. Set the clock for 5 minutes and he was out in 2. Did it again last night same thing. Joe tried to get him to sleep for an hour tonight... wasn't working. I put him in his crib and he didn't even cry.. just went to sleep. Tomorrow I'm going to just try putting him in the crib off the bat.

Boo said...

My Mum, who has a degree in childhood matercraft says that at about 18 months our kids are going to go through a phase of not wanting to go to bed just because they know they're missing out on something.

If we have people visiting, we have NO hope of getting Jaxon to go to bed. So I guess it's already started!