Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, October 23, 2008

What. A. Day...

Oh gosh has it been one of those days! You know, where bad things come in three's, only, I'm waiting for the 3rd thing, the other shoe to drop.

Today wasn't bad, it was this afternoon where it went downhill. Lacey and I went and met my mom for lunch while Nick was in class, and then we went to Sam's. They had this awesome Osh Kosh winter jacket that we got for her. It's made like a North Face or Columbia, with the puffy outer shell and a zip in liner. AND the liner was reversible, fleece on one side and windbreaker on the other. With a detachable hood. In pretty purple. I was pretty excited. She also bought us some diapers and wipes, and a little Christmas outfit. She got Lacey a Christmas present, one of those doll sets with the pack n play, stroller, swing, play gym, bouncer, and doll. Pretty neat!!! I can't wait for her to open it. Oh and there were these big animals that stood up and had a steel frame (held 140 pounds!). Of course my mom couldn't pass it up, they were so cute, so she got a lion! Lacey was in love. So then we go back home for me to get ready for work, and Nick to come get Lacey.

Nick gets to my house and calls me, telling me that he needs my help because he blew out a tire. Apparently he was on the wind-y road that comes to my house, and a dualie truck was over the line so rather than hit the truck, Nick ran off the road. It just happened to be a part where the concrete dropped off rather dramatically, and punctured his right front tire. Luckily it wasn't worse, he said he almost flipped. So we change his tire. I notice that the spare looks underinflated. We didn't have far to go so I told him to back it out and test it. As soon as the car rolls, it goes completely flat. OH NO! And, I had about 10 minutes until I had to leave for work. So we sit around trying to find out what to do for about an hour. Finally we get everything worked out and a tow truck is on its way. Well, I open the door and Bentley escapes to go play with his pretty weimeraner lady friend down the way. I'm outside, and my phone rings. It's my grandfather, asking me if I'm at work. I tell him no, I'm going to be late. And he proceeds to tell my that he thinks my grandmother is having a stroke, and do I mind if he brings her to my hospital. So I curse, burst into tears, and go find Nick and Lacey, who is pitching a humongo fit (Lacey, not him). I tell him that his mom is going to have to come get him, I have to go to work. My grandfather tells me that she was unresponsive for a minute, and then when she started talking again it was really slurred and she couldn't move her left arm. So I say yes, it sounds like a stroke. He had already called 911.

I'm on my way to work and I get a call from my mom saying they were going to Trinity, per the EMS recommendation. Which was good, because it turns out that they have all of the TPA (clot busting) capabilities and medicines. So do we, but they are better equipped. Luckily around 9:00pm I got a phone call from my mom, letting me know that they gave her the TPA (which was a surprise, usually they don't do it in such elderly people because it is so dangerous. But I told my mom that it was probably because my grandmother would rather die than live unable to move one side or talk right. She's the one who had the back surgery, and she wouldn't be able to do her therapy without the use of her left side, therefore she'd be miserable and has already told us she wants to die at home). It WORKED!!! They did another CT and it showed that the medicine had worked, and she already was talking better and had the use of her left hand back! Yay Praise the Lord!!!!

The funny thing through it all (I know nothing is funny, but you have to cope somehow) is that my grandfather said she kept insisting that she wasn't having a stroke when she was at home. She really didn't want to go back into the hospital. So he said well, if you aren't having a stroke, then lift your left arm. She promptly lifted her right arm above her head and said, slurring terribly, "See, I haven't had a stroke." She's such a crotchety old woman, she can find humor in everything. I'm just so glad she's okay, I don't know what I'd do if she died.

And when I got to work it was crazy. I walked in, got confused, and stayed that way until about 9. I was totally there, but not there.

Anyways, hopefully tomorrow will be uneventful and she'll go home. I have to take Nick to get his newly tired car, and hopefully it won't rain and we can go to the park. Or library.

No comments: